Metal Finishers' Association of India popularly known as MFAI, was established as a registered body in 1973 by a group of dedicated electroplaters in Mumbai then called Bombay. It has been a long journey of more than four decades wherein the association has steadily grown. Today MFAI enjoys the status as the premier professional body of electroplaters and metal finishers in our country, with a membership of over 1000 representatives in research, academic institutions and the industry.
MFAI offers excellent in house conference facility and Library of more than 500 books on surface finishing technology and others.
The association has been vigorously pursuing following objectives
- To provide a common forum for metal finishers, Industrialists, designers and professionals to meet and foster the advancement of surface engineering, with particular focus on science of electroplating technology in our country.
- To promote activities of interest to the members, such as organizing seminars/symposia, technical meetings, intensive courses and industrial visits.
- To disseminate scientific and technical information particularly related to electroplating and metal finishing technology, for the benefit of members.
- To be in liaison with Government Agencies to put legal and commercial view points of our industry to the Government.
- To collaborate with other professional bodies (in India and Abroad) who are pursuing similar aims and objectives.
The association has organized over 400 technical meetings and more than 100 seminars/symposia on wide variety of technical and management topics in the interest of members in the last 40 years. The association with support of IUSF had organized its first International Congress on “Electroplating and Metal Finishing” in India during January 1997 at Mumbai. This was the first international meet on this topic held in our country in which eminent experts from all over the world had participated. The congress was given status of the REGIONAL INTERFINISH by IUSF. As a sequel to this Second International Conference and Exhibition on “ Electroplating and Metal Finishing- ASIA INTERFINISH-2002” was organized at Hotel Taj Palace, New Delhi from 19th to 21st November 2002. A mega event in true sense, an International Exhibition and Conference-2006 was held on 2nd-4th Feb at Bombay Exhibition Centre, Mumbai. The event was a comprehensive coverage on latest developments in the electroplating and metal finishing as well as related technologies. Another mega event ISF 2011 was organized on 11th-13th February at Bombay Exhibition Centre, Mumbai
Subsequently ISF 2014 was organized from 29-31st January at Bombay Exhibition Centre, Mumbai,which gave platform for direct interaction between manufacturers, equipment suppliers, researchers, application engineers and end users. It was an excellent opportunity to expand horizon of business. In order to meet demand for trained manpower in our industry, the association had started 160 hours part time Certificate Course in Electroplating and Metal finishing which was conducted once in a year.